West Sac Little League Covid-19
Physical Distancing and Safety Plan
The following plan has been established to resume Little League Baseball activities while protecting and supporting our Board Members, Volunteers, Players, and Spectator’s health. We will practice social distancing, and promote proper hand washing and disinfecting to minimize risks of COVID-19. This guidance has been approved by the local league’s Board of directors.
IF EXPOSED TO COVID OR HAVE SYMPTOMS OF COVID
- If a Player/Parent/Guardian or Caretaker is exposed to COVID whether directly or indirectly:
- All individuals in contact with COVID or have symptoms of COVID MUST notify the coach as soon as possible so the coach can notify all players he/she has been in contact with to limit spread.
- Each player must quarantine away from the field for no less than 10 days as per CDC Guidelines and be medically cleared by a licensed physician before returning to the team.
HEALTH PROTOCOLS FOR FACILITIES
- We will frequently clean and disinfect any regularly touched surfaces, such as equipment, doorknobs, tables, chairs, and restrooms per CDC guidelines.
- Hand washing or use of hand sanitizer will be available during all practices and games provided by the league which will be given to each manager.
- We will place readily visible signage to remind everyone of best hygiene practices.
- Snack-bar volunteers will follow CDC guidelines and limit the total amount of workers to a maximum of 3 at one time. Markers spaced at 6’ will be visible while standing in line at the snack bar to maintain proper distancing.
PRACTICE PROCEDURES GUIDANCE
- All players and coaches may not enter the practice areas if they have any of the following:
- Fever or Chills
- Shortness of Breath or Trouble Breathing
- Sore Throat
- Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea
- New Loss of Taste or Smell
- Coaches will have a face covering on if within 6 feet of a player on the practice field.
- Players Do Not Need Face Coverings while on the practice field.
- While in the dugout, face coverings will be worn at all times by coaches and players.
- When performing practice drills, coaches will keep players 6 feet apart from one another.
- If you’re not within the diamond but on a grass field doing drills, follow as stated:
- Split up the team in pods of a maximum of 4 players with a coach.
- Ensure each pod of players are in different sections of the field.
- Players and Coaches MUST bring their own water to practices.
- Players are encouraged to bring their own equipment to practice (Helmet, Bat etc..)
- Team bats and helmets MUST BE and WILL BE DISINFECTED before another player uses the equipment during practice.
- Baseballs will need to be disinfected after each practice as well.
- Each manager will be provided a disinfecting spray in the team bag.
- Players, managers/coaches, and umpires will bring their own personal drinks to all practices and games. Drinks should be labeled with the person’s name and there will be no sharing.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- All volunteers must wear masks for the entirety of all team events. This includes outside the playing field during player arrival and departures.
- While on the field, the players will not be required to wear a facemask or when they are distancing on the bleachers waiting for their at bat but if they desire to wear a mask, they can do so.
- All coaches and managers will be required to wear their face masks while in the dugouts as well as when they are within 6 feet of any player.
- Dugouts are not sufficient to house 10-12 players, a manager, & coaches at social distance. We will use the bleachers in order to keep all players 6 feet apart and behind the fence. Each player will be assigned their designated spots and will maintain that space the entirety of the practice or game.
- The bleachers this season will be used for player distancing only, no spectators will be permitted to sit on the bleachers at this time.
- Players are to stay at their assigned spots when on the bench or bleacher or while waiting their turn to bat.
- We are limiting the dugout to a maximum of 4 kids at one time (not including manager and coaches) while waiting to bat per batting order with a face mask on.
- All individual players bags will not be permitted in the dugout at this time and is to be hung on the outside of the dugouts back fence.
- The league will continue to provide each team with at least one set of catcher’s gear, helmets and league bats that will be disinfected after each use by each team who they designate as their teams “disinfector”. This position will count towards hours worked towards deposit refund.
- If applicable, players should have their own individual batter’s helmet, glove and bat and must be marked appropriately.
- Player’s equipment (e.g. bags, helmets, bats, gloves, etc.) should be cleaned and disinfected after each game/practice by a parent, guardian, or caretaker at home.
- Each team on defense will use their own “game baseballs” helping to minimize contact use.
- “Warm-up baseballs” should be separated from game balls and disinfected after use.
- Any foul balls landing outside the field of play should be retrieved by players, coaches, or umpires. No spectators should retrieve foul balls.
- In the event that a spectator does touch a baseball, it shall be disinfected before being used.
- The catcher should be retrieving foul and passed balls as much as possible.
- The league will give each team extra balls due to COVID concerns.
Pregame Plate Meetings
- All plate meetings shall be held with at least six feet of distance between individuals, and face masks are required. Including any umpire meetings required during the game.
- Plate meetings should only consist of one manager or coach from each team, and game umpires.
Limit League / Game Volunteers
- Designated safety parent shall be positioned directly outside the dugouts to assist with any issues that should arise during the game.
- Practices should be limited to the managers/coaches and players.
- The person scorekeeping shall bring the printed sheet and may sit near the infield, maintaining social distance protocols from the field of play.
- If the scorekeeper is unable to practice 6 feet of social distancing during game, a mask is required.
- It will be the responsibility of the managers/coaches to forward the stats, scores, and results of the game to league officials and division managers.
- Only 1 individual will be allowed in the Press box to run the scoreboard, unless the space is large enough to accommodate social distancing.
Field Preparation and Maintenance
- Fields should be mowed, raked, and lined prior to teams and spectators arriving at the complex and after they depart. This will be done by Managers/Coaches only.
Post Game Practices
- There will no hand shake at the end of the games, instead the players from each team will line up at their respective foul lines and tip their hats to the other team.
SPECTATOR VIEWING AND FIELDS
Expectation of Parents and Guests
- All spectators should follow best social distancing practices; stay six feet away from individuals outside their household, wear a cloth face covering at all times; avoid direct hand or other contact with players/managers/coaches during play.
- Spectators must bring their own portable foldable chairs for sitting as the bleachers will be closed off to everyone not playing in the game.
- A spectator with any of the following conditions should not attend a practice or game until evaluated by a medical provider and given clearance to do so:
- Active COVID-19 infection
- Known direct contact with an individual testing positive for COVID-19
- Those at higher risk for severe disease should consider consultation with their medical provider before attending a game and should ensure the strictest adherence to guidelines regarding face coverings, distancing, and hand washing.
In order for this to work, we need everyone to help participate in keeping COVID out of our league so we can maintain a full healthy season for all our players, parents and volunteers.